I was going to wait until all the photos from the weekend were ready but the video links just went up on the KCTS 9 web site and I can’t hold off on sharing the link!
An update from the original recipe. This version should be a little easier to follow.
A deeply flavorful marinade covered with a light crisp crust make this tofu preparation tempting enough to convert even die hard skeptics. Makes three servings of two pieces per serving. Published on An Edible Mosaic, this modified version of Sesame-Crusted Tofu has been reprinted with permission.
- 1 (14-16 oz) block of tofu – firm or extra-firm
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated on a microplane (approximately 2 teaspoons)
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated on a microplane (approximately 1 tablespoon)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (a good pinch)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (or any flour you like)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Green beans fresh or frozen that have been thawed
- 1 shallot bulb thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp of Sriracha Hot Sauce (more or less to taste)
- Drain the Tofu: Cut the large brick of tofu in half so you have 2 blocks, then slice each half into thirds to create 6 equal slabs. Arrange in a single layer in a dish lined with a clean napkin or kitchen towel; cover it with a second clean towel. Top with a flat board with a weight on top. (see image above) Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Make the marinade: Whisk together sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, grated garlic, grated ginger, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Gently remove the towels from the drained tofu. Pour the marinade over the tofu slabs and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Make the crust: Combine the flour and sesame seeds in a shallow dish; dredge both sides of each tofu piece in this mixture (use your fingers!). Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat (spray with a bit of non-stick spray if needed); When pan is heated – add the tofu and toast until golden on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve warm.
- Make the Veggies: To the remaining marinade – stir in 1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha Hot Sauce. Toss prepared vegetables the marinade and stir-fry or sauté vegetables over medium high heat while tofu is toasting.
*I tried to get the video to embed onto the site but flash is not playing nice. Perhaps my tech support will be able to remedy the issue for me.